52 Week Money Challenge: The Kuripot Pinay Version

Thanks to Life as You Live It for developing the 52 week Money Saving Challenge. According to the creator, every year he does this to save up on something really nice at the end of the year. This could be buying a new gadget or having a vacation somewhere. You can also build up your emergency fund or retirement fund from here.

The 52 week money saving challenge is certainly a great way to save this year. After all, you are compounding the money in different intervals making it simple and cost effective. To get you started with this challenge here are a few items that you need.

A goal. This will keep you motivated to save and save. Simply imagine getting your most coveted gadget by the end of the year. Or perhaps buying gifts for your family and friends. Simply pick an item that you normally don’t splurge. From there, break it down in terms of your weekly amount to save. Thinking of the item I would want to buy made me giggle and happy. I simply can’t wait to get started.

A piggy bank. The original poster has a clear bottle where he puts the money. I prefer a covered one though so I won’t see the money stack in there and count how much I already saved. You can use a plastic container, a bottle, a jar or just about anything. This will be called a grownup piggy bank.

Template. The challenge has an existing template that we can print out and tape in our piggy bank. However, since the amount is in dollars, I took the liberty to edit the dollar part and translate it into Philippine Peso. Plus, I altered the dollar equivalent to Php50. Here’s the sheet that you can follow and download.

Imagine being able to save as much as 68,900 for the year. That is more than enough for a brand new phone or a brand new laptop. Perhaps you can buy both, a phone and a laptop. I'm thinking of buying a designer bag this time. Whatever rocks your boat I am sure the amount would be a good help to you.

Here are some more tips that can help you complete the 52 week money saving challenge.

For professionals who are paid twice a month, instead of doing a weekly challenge, you can do it twice a month. For instance, instead of putting in amounts for Jan 1 to Jan 7 and Jan 8 to Jan 14, you can sum up the two weeks and deposit 150 instead of 50 and 100. This will prove useful especially to bigger amounts in the latter part of the year. This also holds true for individuals who are paid once a month.

As you proceed with the saving up process, you can crash out weeks that you already fulfilled. This is like crashing out dates in your calendar. This will make you feel giddy inside.

If there are months that you are paid more than your usual salary, say for instance getting half of your 13th month pay, tax refund or more (good for you), you could do advance savings. You can deposit more in order to cover the other weeks.

Do not touch this. Since you know just how much you already saved, thanks for the sheet I posted, do not be tempted to get or even borrow from here. Secure your piggybank with tapes, plastics or whatnot. You may also open up another bank account for this purpose alone. Again, do not get money from here or else lightning will strike you for real. As MC Hammer would sing, "You Can't Touch This".

I hope this would get you pump up to save for the year. This is also a better way to start 2014. So start saving! Let’s do the 52 week money saving challenge today.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

380 Responses to 52 Week Money Challenge: The Kuripot Pinay Version

1. Wow! Thanks for sharing this. This is exactly what I need, seriously!!! Thabk you!

ReplyDelete
  2. On the later part of template, you're shelling out P2000+ per week, for November alone you 'saved' P9300, this is already a lot for most people. but still this is a good starting point for those that want to save but don't know how to begin. thank you for sharing

3. @The Wifey Journals

Glad that you like it :)

4. @Fact-Finder

True this is indeed a good starting point to anyone who would like to save. Thank you for your input.

ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the amount increment is hard in the later part of the year. Don't worry as I will publish another post that will address this concern.

ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you like it :)

ReplyDelete
  7. TNX A LOT FOR THIS PITS FOR SAVING,ITS A REAL HELP FOR ME THIS THING,I UNDERSTAND THE AMOUNT BUT THE TOTAL I DONT GET IT ,HOW IT BECOME 68,900?

ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Smiley Dyke! Thank you for your comment.

68,900 is the accumulated sum of the amount column from Week 1 to Week 52.

ReplyDelete
  9. This is what I needed.. kaso student palang ako eh. My weekly allowance amounts to 1000 palang. :( but this is a good idea. Thanks for posting this. May guide na ako para sa pag iipon. :)

10. Faith трангкиланJanuary 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

i'm doing this with the orig version in dollars and just multiplied it by 40 (i.e. week 2 is 2 dollars x 40 = 80) at the end of
    52 weeks the yield is 55+ thou. compared to this, the dollars (every
    week expected savings) multiplied by 40 (the stable rate for USA dollar
    to Phil pesos) every week is much more achievable, especially if
    divided into 2 gives every month for employees like me.

11. This is what we do sa Paluwagan before sa
    Bank

ReplyDelete
  12. hi, just wondering how it got so big at the end? are you suppose to add 50 for the 1st wek, the 2nd add 100 on the 3rd 150 and so on? sorry, just confused, I want to try this one.

ReplyDelete
  13. I might just give this one a try! I'm up for a challenge! Thanks for posting this ;)

MyMaria
    www.bastaigatsikat.com

ReplyDelete
  14. aww too bad, i don't have work yet. but if I do, i will surely do this...

ReplyDelete
  15. Unfortunately, I'm still a student. I wonder if you can make a student-friendly version of this money saver idea? :)

ReplyDelete
  16. kaka iba ang increments ng piggybank na ito... palaki ng palaki kada lingio ang dapat i huhulog mo... like for the December weeks alone you have to place at total Php10100 to that piggy bank.. masakit na iyan sa bulsa kahit para sa savings mo... ok lang kung mataas ang sahod mo..

17. The savings gets an increment every week
    Jan - You need to save 500
    June - You need to save 4900
    Dec - You need to save 10100.

It's quite easy for the first 6 months but will be a quite a struggle for the last 6 to an average employee with an average salary.

ReplyDelete
  18. For those people who are saying that it gets harder by the end of the year, it's true. But you can adapt this to your earnings. You dont have to start at P50. You can make it P10 or P5, thus the increments would be by 5 or 10.

You can PROBABLY cheat as well. If for example you have a lot of money this month, you can put more in the jar and cross out the corresponding "month" or "week" equivalent to what you put in the jar.

19. Christopher Tan PelayoJanuary 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Pwede din naman na start by 20s then add 20s... That'll give you 27,560.... Or by 30s to get 41,340... Depende pa din sa kaya natin... Ill try this but on a lower starting money... Hehehe... Pero same concept sa mga following days... Test of discipline. :)

ReplyDelete
  20. You can edit naman the figures e. If you want na same amount lang ang ihulog mo per week kasi mas magiging madali yun sayo, then by all means, go! :) The point here lang naman is for you to save something every week so by the end of the year, may pang-splurge/pang-bili ka na ng gifts. :)

ReplyDelete
  21. this is ok, for those who are determined. just try to save 20% of your allowance or salary. its a lot more easier. :]

22. Missy Hernandez InocentesJanuary 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM

actually you can even if you are a student, when i was in college i had 2 bank accounts..one is for the tuition and one for my personal/savings..whenever there is an excess amount from my allowance or tuition, i kept it and put in the other bank..and when the end of the year comes i really enjoy shopping (plus the shopping money from my parent :0)

ReplyDelete
  23. This is so WRONG, people should think big. You do not save to spend! Saving is just a temporary solution, you should invest. Eto ang madalas tinuturo ng society, banko at parents natin, pero yang inipon m ngayon yang itatabi mo s banko baba lng ang value after how many years/months. meron tayong tinatwag na inflation rate. Yun gustong mong bilhin at the end of the year baba ang presyo dahil may lalabas n mas bago. Unahin ang assets before liabilities. Unahin ang magmmultiply ng pera. Kahit hnd ka nkatpos kahit estudyante kpalng. Wala sa laki ng sahod/allowance yan it's how you handle your money, gano ito ttagal sayo. If you cant do delay gratification mas mabuti pa mag 6Jars knlang. Magbasabasa i suggest reading rich dad poor dad. Maginvest din ng time for financial education.
    Hindi ako mdlas magcomment pro ngregster ako kasi concern ako s readers mo. I hope wla akong maoffend

ReplyDelete
  24. try ko ito for 6 months. mukang mahihirapan ako pag dating ng 7th month onwards eh. kung di ko kayanin, uulit ako sa start, para may 35100 ako for year. :D

25. Nico Paygane ArboledaJanuary 2, 2014 at 5:11 PM

This would be really great with a sort of bank account within a bank account, particularly a savings-oriented one (I think BPI has one, I'm not too sure) with larger interest rates. My bank account here in Oz has a hassle-free way of such, where transactions are mostly done online. That way, you won't be tempted to spend from there, and would be useful for emergencies and such. Because there won't be any maintaining balance or bank fees, it's also great for students as well.

ReplyDelete
  26. So true. Besides, last month na hulog to so magkukuripot ka pa ba?

27. Nico Paygane ArboledaJanuary 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I see your point, and I do agree, but I think the point of this piece is to sort of help people who are having a hard time saving up. Baby steps, ika nga.

ReplyDelete
  28. you have bonuses in December so it's not unreasonable. think positive. :)

29. Nico Paygane ArboledaJanuary 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Some banks have a feature where you can create a sort of savings-oriented bank account within your transaction bank account, which also has a generous (-ish) interest rate. You won't see the amount every time you use an ATM, so you have less temptations. Most transactions there like transfers are mostly done online anyway, and is less of a hassle compared to having two bank accounts from separate banks.

ReplyDelete
  30. Yep I agree with you. But I am doing this for travel fund. :D weheh. DOn't get me wrong. I invest in the stock market and other assets to.

31. Nico Paygane ArboledaJanuary 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

If your parents (or siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.) are up to it, you can ask for small amounts and start saving them. If they know that it's going to be a savings project, it would be very likely that they'd help you out with it, anyway. This way, it could develop into a habit once you start working, plus you get a decent amount to jumpstart the project while you are earning your own money! It just takes good convincing powers, plus you have the option to pay them back once you have saved up enough.

ReplyDelete
  32. You van try increments of 20, even 10 php instead of 50php :)

33. Nico Paygane ArboledaJanuary 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Yeah, that would definitely yield better results. For those even more aggressive, maybe even try increments in the percentage amount. lol

ReplyDelete
  34. ginagawa lang naman example ung may bibilin kang gadgets para may inspiration ka sa pag iipon mo.. kung gusto mo ng investment na malaki Go!! kung gusto mo mag tayo ng business para lumaki at lumago pera mo Go!! un ang ang gawin mong inspiration para mag ipon walang problema dun.. alam mo po hindi mo mapipigilan ang progress o pag babago sa paligid natin wala ma tayong magagawa sa bagay na un. .. so kahit na temporary solution lang ito atleast may progress.. kesa mapunta lang sa wala ung pera.. step by step lang.. di lahat ng bagay nakukuha ng mabilisan.. share ko lang din.. happy new year tin ten!! Godbless satin

ReplyDelete
  35. how much is your baon weekly? my suggestion for this method is to start with 1% of your weekly allowance. kung 150 ang baon mo per day (750 per week), try mo simulan magsave sa 7 or 8 pesos per week. Tapos add ka lang ng same amount for next week's savings.
    wk 1 - 7
    wk 2 - 14 -->21
    wk 3 - 21 -->42
    wk 4 - 28 -->70

...

ReplyDelete
  36. I'll accept this challenge. Let's save.

ReplyDelete
  37. start with 1% of your weekly allowance (that will be P10). be prepared though that during the later parts of the year, you will be putting into savings almost 50% of your allowance.

ReplyDelete
  38. if you are going to spread out the amount evenly, it is 68,900 divided by 12 = 5742 per month, or 2871 pesos per 15 days, or every payday.. cross out mo na lang kung hanggang saan week aabutin nung 2871 mo.. not impossible.. wag ka muna mag Starbucks araw araw for this year :)

ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Luisa, very great suggestion. Will cater to your concern in another post of mine. I appreciate the interaction of other commenters here. Will definitely take that into account.

I like the 7 pesos increment, or 10, or 20. Will definitely consider that.

Do wait, will provide a spreadsheet for you :)

40. Tama ka dun Patrick. Pwede namang ispread out ang amount talaga

ReplyDelete
  41. Misskrista im interested in investing sa stock market but i dont know how to start or the basics of it. Any advise you can give? Thank you! :)

ReplyDelete
  42. tama. kanya-kanyang sistema yan. ang mahalaga ay sundin natin ang ise-set nating sistema.

43. Hi Tin ten,

I understand your sentiments. And I agree with you that this is indeed a temporary solution. However, this is a good push to save especially if you want to buy something new for yourself or for your loved ones. I do this on the side while investing on stocks and other avenues.

44. True, I must agree.

45. Hi Michelle,

I agree with this post :) ahahaha especially about the cheat part where you can put more

ReplyDelete
  46. Wlang malaking hnd ngssimula sa maliitt. Ofcourse lhat tayo hnd mkkapagsimula ng bussiness agad. That's why invest more in financial literacy. Maraming praan like mutual fund etc. s mababang halaga. You will learn how to work your money for you. One more thing another cons of this method, do not put your egg in one basket. Lahat ng tao may tendency to rebel if feeling mo naddeprive kna kakatipid jan ka ngssimula gmastos. At kng savings lang ang paguusapan dont limit how much you will save. Limit your expenses! How are you going to this ofcourse by percentage. I'm using 6jars 60% for my necessities, 10% for my play money(luho clothes, spa), 10% charity, 10% for longterm spending(cars/ gadgets), 10% finacial freedom(will be used for investment) this is more effective.

47. Hi Tin ten,

I like the jars idea! This is like what Miriam did diba?

ReplyDelete
  48. Do you have the excel sheet, can you send it over so I can modify it.

ReplyDelete
  49. Try enrolling in Citiseconline. You could start investing there by buying stocks monthly for a fixed amount. Start with 5K a month. Invest only on big companies that would grow in the long run like Ayala Land, Jollibee, BPI. When you invest your money, you leave it there for a long period of time until it grows. We've already doubled our investment there so far. :)

ReplyDelete
  50. Actually, her advice is a good starting point in starting the habit of saving. Once the habit is there, investing would be a breeze.

ReplyDelete
  51. Yes but in the end this saving agenda ngfocus lng to buy the wants. Then what's next you save more and buy more.

ReplyDelete
  52. Yes but this one limit how much you save, it should be the other way around.

53. Raymund Pron LaguadorJanuary 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM

but how a simple student, who only have 20 pesos for his baon everyday, can relate on this?

ReplyDelete
  54. read bo sanchez books. My maid invest in the stock market.

ReplyDelete
  55. I can do this. :D when buying products 50,000 plus hindi nang hihinayang. pero if savings. bakit masakit?hehe.

ReplyDelete
  56. @julie623 your suggestion is very good. so how to start with those investments?

57. save 2 pesos. haha

58. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Hmm, I don't think this is a good guide for someone who is planning to save this year. If you're going to use it to build your emergency fund, then go ahead and start this challenge BUT if you will just use it to buy a a thing that depreciates in value over time then you better think twice

If you really want to experience the power of compounding interest, why not just put it on mutual fund, stocks, retail treasury bonds or T-bills? I started investing in the stock market last March 05, 2012 with an initial deposit of 5,000 PHP and it grew to 6 digits this year, isn't it better?

and remember inflation? It tells us what our money should be making, because if our money doesn’t grow along with inflation, nababawasan ang value nito.

ReplyDelete
  59. There's an increment every week. It is not a fix amount, the first savings will be the base amount.

ReplyDelete
  60. 68,900 in a year is very small. One should invest in mutual funds and stocks to preserve the purchasing power of cash. Due to inflation rate, 68,900 now may only feel like 65,000 at the end of the year. If you continue saving your cash this way, you will eventually lose more than you have actually saved.
    Take for example my grandmother who placed 300,000 pesos in the bank for 15 years. At the end of the saving period, her cash could barely buy food that would last three years - so much for a retirement fund.

ReplyDelete
  61. P50 x 52 Weeks = P2600 only!

ReplyDelete
  62. To help you out with this, here's the other version of the challenge: http://kuripotpinay.blogspot.com/2014/01/52-week-challenge-version-2-kuripot.html

ReplyDelete
  63. Here's the 2nd version which is lower than the required amount http://kuripotpinay.blogspot.com/2014/01/52-week-challenge-version-2-kuripot.html

ReplyDelete
  64. Alas Michelle, here it is: http://kuripotpinay.blogspot.com/2014/01/52-week-challenge-version-2-kuripot.html

65. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 7:41 PM

66. this is a crazy way of saving up. unless you earn 100k a month and
    separate 10k for the months of Oct, Nov and Dec, this can be done.. we
    know that the bigger you earn, the bigger the expenses because people
    try to balance their lifestyle on how much they can afford to buy, and
    that's the real problem on "saving money". so, 10k might even be a
    problem for them...

For example you earn P50,000 a month and
    started at 0.1% of your salary which is P50 a week and only P500 for the
    month of Jan. but be aware that we are "multiplying" P50 to the number
    of weeks and it's not getting smaller by the week, while our salary has
    fixed amount. then why not use your credit card to buy a gadget with 0%
    interest for 12 months? if it costs 60k, then you pay 5k a month for it
    (10% of your salary, still a huge amount), which is easier to pay than
    10500 in Oct, 9300 for Nov, 10000 for Dec.. WTF?? that's 20% of you
    salary for 3 months!!! together with your bills, rents, and other
    stuffs, that's a sure kill to your budget. And in installments, you can
    use the gadget starting January, not on December of the same year. Just
    pay diligently to avoid over dues.

I like the idea of saving but
    not like this, imagine the pressure on your budget when the second half
    of the year comes. We don't have to starve or deny ourselves from some
    luxury that our salary can give us just to save money for a gadget or a
    vacation. so i still think separating the same value per payday (which
    you can afford around 10%) is better than this money challenge.
    50k salary = 5k savings a month = 60k a year = great gadget/vacation.. plus, gain around P100 interest from the bank? hehe..

ReplyDelete
  67. Hi Ross, I understand the sentiment and I must agree. This proves difficult for some. That is why, I came up with another version of this one.You can check it out here: http://kuripotpinay.blogspot.com/2014/01/52-week-challenge-version-2-kuripot.html

You will have more flexibility plus you can dictate how much you would be saving up that fits your monthly cash flow. You can also download the excel sheet provided at the end of the post where you can alter the amounts and so on.

ReplyDelete
  68. Its easy to save up. Really. I'm still in school, my allowance is 2500 in a week. I usually save up my 2k, and use 500, 4 weeks in a month, I'll have 8k in total. In 6 months time, I'll have 48k, in a year, a total of 96k.
    Saving up money is like dieting, you need discipline to reach your goal. :))
    And well, if you have less allowance, why not try saving up all 5 pesos, it usually works lalo na pag you love swearing I was told to put 5php every time I swore. :))

ReplyDelete
  69. good for you. it's just that people have different situations.10k a month and still at school, while some earn 10k working to share with their families.

ReplyDelete
  70. Yep, same here. At least you work, you have benefits, pero sabi mo nga different situations. Di ko na need sabihin kung anu pinagdadaanan ko. :)

ReplyDelete
  71. Save it in the bank. It will give you interests (and some protection from inflation). Mutual Funds, stocks, etc... are much like gambling. Pag bumagsak ang value ng stocks mo sa merkado, goodbye ka sa pera mo..... Pwede namang magipon kasi gusto mag M.A. panghabang buhay pakinabang mo dun diba? :)

72. Francis Joseph DeVeas ManaloJanuary 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM

copy cat!! give credit to Lifehacker!

73. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Nope..magiging sugal lang siya once na pinasok mo ang stock market without enough knowledge, kaya nga may mga tinatawag na investor and trader tama? bakit ka naman mag-good bye sa pera mo if you know what you're doing and if you know your risk appetite? :) and mutual funds naman there's a fund manager that will handle the pooled money from the investors.. :) may mga times na mababa ang value ng stocks mo and hindi yun maiiwasan kaya nga may mga strategy ka na pwedeng gawin para ma-minimize ang risk tama? like peso-cost averaging..

and protection from inflation? really? how? do you have an idea what is inflation? if not, then read this one:

"There’s nothing wrong in having a savings account. In fact it’s very useful to keep our money safe for immediate needs and emergencies. But keeping your money in a saving account long-term, ibang usapan na yan. Like I mentioned earlier, inflation is silently eating the value of your savings."

don't ignore the fact that keeping your money is sleeping all the time when you keep it on a jar or bank unless you're going to use it to build your emergency fund like what I have said earlier.

74. г๏๔єll เ๒๏ภค ๒ครคl๏January 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM

wow... ganda ng intent pero i think something is wrong here.
    imagine i am a mimium wage earner of let's just say 400.00/day or P2,400.00/week ( Mon-Sat).

let's say I use P50/week savings
    there is no problem on the first few weeks because I can afford it.

but when we start to reach on the second semester starting W27 (P1,350.00),
    with that, I would need to save 225.00/day

to the extent on W40 on ward to W52, I would need to save ~P340.00+/day and P~440.00+/day, respectively?
    where in fact I am just earning P400.00/day

how can I achieve this?

75. Bo sanchez blows! do not follow bo sanchez. word of advice

ReplyDelete
  76. i will do this with 20 peso base and 20 peso increase on weekly basis also. I expect 14800 pesos by dec. 30. i think it would not be that difficult to do. :)

ReplyDelete
  77. paano ba yan tin ten paano yan investment na yan interested ako matutunan message mo ako

ReplyDelete
  78. paano ba yan tin ten paano yan investment na sinasabi mo interested ako matutunan message mo ako

ReplyDelete
  79. na-try ko na until now ginagawa ko marami akong nabibili pati gift sa mga inaaanak ko at family dito ko kinukuha nag-sasave ako ng 30 pesos per day and every payday naghuhulog ako ng 250 pesos separate ung lalagayan ko ng 5,10,1 peso halos umaabot sa 50K ang nakukuha ko bago dumating ang christmas parang bonus!

ReplyDelete
  80. paano po ba ginagawa yan investment na yan? help?

ReplyDelete
  81. I really don't know why a lot of people are so negative about this post. This shouldn't be your primary savings but something to be treated as having a "pang gastos" at the end of the year. "According to the creator, every year he does this to save up on something really nice at the end of the year. " This is just something on the side. I do have mutual funds, I do have BPI save up autodebit for my liquid savings. I find this very useful as this is not something too hard to follow on top of the assets that I'm building.

82. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I agree, a financial advocate should teach people to save and invest not to save then spend.

ReplyDelete
  83. To whoever made this, you just saved my critically-endangered financial life.

84. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 9:49 PM

sure sige po..I'll teach you how..please add me on facebook then send me a message about it. thanks!

85. Ah nice naman po ;)

ReplyDelete
  86. Hi Isa, already posted a new post with the sheet that you can download and alter.

87. I so like and agree this comment. Keep this up Nico

ReplyDelete
  88. True it gets tough by the end of the year, hence I created a version 2 to cater to such so you can modify the 52 week challenge :)

ReplyDelete
  89. I so can relate since I have 20 pesos baon too before in college. Imagine college?! That is why I created a version 2 of this so you can alter the amount.

ReplyDelete
  90. Correct! With the 52 week challenge you add 50 pesos per week.

ReplyDelete
  91. This is great! :) I'm going to reblog this. If it's alright with you.

ReplyDelete
  92. I so agree! inflation is really killing our money. That is why we need to venture to other avenues of savings and the ones you stated here are really good.

I am just inspired to blog about this since there's something i want to buy before the year ends. However, aside from this challenge, I am also venturing into mutual funds and stocks.

93. Hi there,

I posted another version of this in order to cater to individuals who would have a hard time complying the later months of this challenge. With that, you can dictate just how much you can save and you can sum up the money you would be getting in the end.

94. Paging @tin ten :)

ReplyDelete
  95. Ito nga ginagawa ko. Dito ako kumukuha pang regalo ahehehe para di naman mabigat pag umabot na ang pasko

ReplyDelete
  96. Thank you so much for your kind comment Pedro. You said it right, I just want to save up on something really nice before the year ends. On top of that, I am also venturing into mutual funds and stocks.

ReplyDelete
  97. Glad to be of service :)

98. I agree with Nico's comment. Well said

ReplyDelete
  99. Hi, about investing in the stock market? paano mo ito sinimulan? I want to learn this... :) Tnx.

ReplyDelete
  100. my allowaqnce is 200 pesos a week and weekly 1k how can i start to build my budget productive. :)

ReplyDelete
  101. Hi Francis, got the inspiration from here http://www.lifeasyouliveit.blogspot.com/2013/07/52-week-money-challenge-update.html which I linked in the first paragraph.

ReplyDelete
  102. you can also try another version-- https://www.facebook.com/2014SavingsChallenge

103. Hi AJ,

Created a sheet for the 20 pesos increase in my new post. You can download the excel file also for reference.

ReplyDelete
  104. Thanks Mia for this. True savings need a lot of discipline. It is like losing weight. Just hard yet worth it.

105. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Hi Grace, sure I'll teach you how, please add me on facebook. thanks!

ReplyDelete
  106. Thank you so much for your comment cheesecake_21.

I understand that might reason for doing this might not conform with yours. However, aside from doing this challenge I am also putting my money to other avenues like mutual funds or stocks.

107. No prob MyMaria. Good luck

ReplyDelete
  108. Hi Christopher, posted another blog post with lower increments. Plus an excel sheet that you can alter also.

ReplyDelete
  109. It would be great if @Manel Andrea J. Cementina can contribute an article or two here. Pwede po ba? :)

ReplyDelete
  110. A new post is up to cater to this concern.

111. Will look into citiseconline too. Sounds interesting. Thanks julie

112. Thanks for the share @Jacq Uy:disqus

ReplyDelete
  113. Hi @Win Win:disqus, i have the version 2 post that caters to this concern. There's also a downloadable sheet that you can alter the amount too.

114. Sure thing, there's also a version 2 for lower increments

115. Manel Andrea J. CementinaJanuary 2, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Hi rhea, sure, you could share my articles from my website if you'd like to.. here's the site url:

ReplyDelete
  116. recommendation lang naman ito. E di kung gusto mo by 20 ang increments mo. Ang punto lang naman e matuto tayo mag save.

ReplyDelete
  117. Hi Win Win, you can start in multiples of P10. At the end of the year you can accumulate as much as P13,780. If you're a student, that's a pretty awesome amount. :)

Weekly Saving

260.00
    3,510.00
    Week 52
    520.00
    13,780.00

ReplyDelete
  118. i have a question though. can a college freshman student like me with 300pesos/day allowance invest in stock markets already? or is it too early?

119. I like this book so much. People should read it

ReplyDelete
  120. @saywhut! may I ask why po?

121. westerners didn't know but asians to this starting from youngsters

ReplyDelete
  122. I also want to learn how to invest in stock market! Pwede po paturo?

ReplyDelete
  123. Lyn. Go to www.colfinancial.com and read about the Easy Investment Program product that they offer

ReplyDelete
  124. pwede rin po ba ako magpaturo kung paano mag invest sa stock market? thanks!

ReplyDelete
  125. Hi @klasiko of course anyone can invest in the stock market. however it would be best to invest on stock market knowledge first before putting your money there.

ReplyDelete
  126. What if you do it the other way around? I mean, why don't you start big by January with 10,100 (assuming that you have new clothes and no celebrations so there's really not much to spend for) then by December, you simply need to save 750 and still have all the fun you want. I just think that it would be easier.

ReplyDelete
  127. Nice idea @Ces i like this. Thanks for sharing :)

ReplyDelete
  128. Realistic lang siguro at GUMAGAMIT UTAK... kasi ang iba kahit may sahod they have to pay rent, food, work allowance etc... pgkano ba minimum wage ngyon? 10k? pagkano ang dapat e save mo pang Dec? Php10100 kulang kapa ng 100php... kung kayo pwede mg tabi na Php10100 tuwing December labas na ang bayarin at obligasyon niyo, edi GO... di ko naman pinipilit na wag DIBA? ang sinasabi ko lang masyadong malaki ang dapat e save mo pang Dec which di kaya ng karamihan...

ReplyDelete
  129. Tin, may smartphone ka? Or mamahaling damit? Ang point nya ay kung may pinag iipunan ka. Hindi nya sinasabing wag kang magmutual funds, etc. Puede ka actually gumawang blog for that.

ReplyDelete
  130. un nga din ang ibang concern ng ibang readers na malaki na nilalabas pag later part na ng taon. kaya may version 2 ako para dyan kung saan may flexibility ka to do an increment of your own that you are sure to save until the end of the year :)

ReplyDelete
  131. oo but if you have to pay monthly bills rent etc sa tingin mo ba kaya???

ReplyDelete
  132. you can try looping the increment. for example, after every 5 weeks you can go back to the first amount. ex:
    w1 - 50
    w2 - 100 (150)
    w3 - 150 (300)
    w4 - 200 (500)
    w5 - 250 (750)
    w6 - 50 (800)

ReplyDelete
  133. only if you have your self to think about.. kaya talaga siya..

134. Nice idea @Mia i so like this approach

ReplyDelete
  135. I have an account in citisec. Sobrang daling magsabi na mag invest pero sobrang hirap magresearch. And please, 25k for an initial investment, ang hirap! ayaland, Jollibee at BPI (or PLDT, Smart) ay sobrang tataas ng price...

136. Rafael Felix Fajardo BorromeoJanuary 2, 2014 at 10:54 PM

question? i think we have to have an agent right? who would you recommend? or how would we start

ReplyDelete
  137. but think of it as a start of something good. learning to save is hard enough, it already teaches responsibility. *avoiding loans and the patience of waiting* The will for what and when to spend it is in you own CHOICE. :)

ReplyDelete
  138. where can I get that kind of bottle? :)

139. God bless and good luck sa atin

ReplyDelete
  140. I am not an agent so calling agent who can help us. We would really appreciate it.

ReplyDelete
  141. Hi Rank, uu mahal nga sila lalo na si PLDT, Smart.

ReplyDelete
  142. Hi Manel. Sent u message in fb. I think it's in the "Others" folder. Thanks :)

143. Ameh Zamora SamanoJanuary 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM

A friend noticed your computation....how did you come up with 68 thou in a year? 50 a week....x 4 (weeks in a month) x 12 (months) is only 2400

ReplyDelete
  144. i already make my own version. :)

ReplyDelete
  145. i already make my own version. :) here is my excel pic.

146. pubringjuandelacruzJanuary 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I would definitely share this to my 7 yrs old son. well not the saving per se but the agony and the hardship that we parents go through just to buy them their wants. IMHO, it would also serves as a good lesson that all items that we gave or will be giving were/are not magically caught from thin air. I think once he sees that, he would probably appreciate and try to look for ways on how to increase his "savings" without waiting for a year.

thanks for the nice article!

ReplyDelete
  147. hi po sir ito po ang nag guide samin paano mag invest sa stockshttp://tjalexcupid.trulyrichclub.com

148. pubringjuandelacruzJanuary 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM

your equation shows fix balance... the spread shows summing up the amount through running balance.

ReplyDelete
  149. hi po sir, mayron po kami guide paano mag invest sa stock market ito po if interested po kayo http://tjalexcupid.trulyrichclub.com

ReplyDelete
  150. can i have a copy of saudi riyal version? thanks! it's great idea.. i did it before but no specific amount to drop in my box and what happened was i kept on borrowing from it so it ended up almost half of the expected amount. ^.^

ReplyDelete
  151. it is not too early to invest Time is your greatest asset ang wla tayo yung knowledge and opportunity where and how to invest. kng wla ka pang clue magaral mna read rich dad poor dad book, watch 'money is debt' s youtube attend seminars.

152. Christian Marc CruzJanuary 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Find out how you can start building passive income and have time freedom by working smart. If you are committed to make a change this 2014, then this is for you.

This year, you have a choice whether to keep doing the same things and get the same results, or do something different to get a different outcome. Do it not just for your self, but for your family and others as well. For many, 2013 has left a lot of people without shelter, food and even lost their loved ones. Let us stand up for them and make a difference in their lives this coming year.

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

I am looking for Highly Driven and Goal-Oriented people to be part of a legitimate Online-Offline business with SERIOUS income potential. Work Part-time or Full-time at the comfort of your Home or during your Free Time. If you want to have Time + Financial Freedom and live a Healthy Lifestyle, I can share this amazing opportunity with you. Interested individuals should attend our FREE presentation.

To get updated on our weekly schedules, just visit and LIKE my page www.facebook.com/doc.marc.XTRM.111 or follow my FB account www.facebook.com/christian.m.cruz.75 then message me at 0915 259 3405 with this format:
    Name/Age/ Occupation/Location/Number of Attendees/Schedule.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

ReplyDelete
  153. "TIME is our greatest ally"..the earlier you start, the more time your money grow.umpisahan muna habang estudyante ka palang.try to save a portion of your allowance. You can start investing in the stock market sa halagang 5,000 pesos.pag-ipunan mo muna,then mag open ka na ng account.ang mahalaga "Magsimula Ka".. :) happy new year every juan! :)

ReplyDelete
  154. pakielaborate nman po kung ano yun "WALA" s phrase mo na "kesa mapunta lang sa wla ung pera". Hnd ba yun wla na yun, yung mga bagay n hindi natin kailangan gaya ng luho bisyo. Mali un purpose nia ng pagiipon its a short term goal lalong mali un example nia. Thats why i said think BIG Ang goal ko ay early retirement to live in a lifestyle that i want without working, ayoko n gumising ng maaga just to please people i dont like, iwant to have more time with my family to travel. And its never too early to invest, you should read success stories ng mga business man i read somwhere meron nga 7 years old naginvest na. TIME is gold! Happy new din sayo!

ReplyDelete
  155. wrong!!! u are not only adding 50 its making bigger and bigger like on 1 week u will add 50 next on 2 week u will add now 100 then 3 ,150 and making bigger and bigger thats up to 200,250,300........

ReplyDelete
  156. "Aral muna bago Invest"..maraming mga blog about financial literacy.the best investment para sa iyong sarili ay ang knowledge..happy new year! :)

ReplyDelete
  157. Meron akong smart phone because i need it. Damit ko galing divi. yoko magblog di ako good writer e

158. Dinelle VillanuevaJanuary 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM

What's the use of "Total"? please exp-lain, thank you! :)

ReplyDelete
  159. No agents needed for investing in the Stock Market. What you need is a stock broker. COLFinancial.com is an online stock broker. Try browsing their site and open a FREE 7-day demo account. :)

ReplyDelete
  160. gusto ko rin maginvest s stock market pro nid ko pa aralin, magsstart plang dn ako balak ko real estate like condo. Something n ngiincrease ng value, lalo na ngaun fastest growing economy tau. Mraming mga foreign investors ppnta stin dahil working population tayo.

ReplyDelete
  161. Well said tinten. Can you give me advices kung ano ang in demand na business ngayon for OFW...THANKS

ReplyDelete
  162. Hi! I like this idea. Hope you don't mind, I linked this post to my blog and grabbed your photo for the money challenge. It's here: http://hitsandmrs.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/daring-myself-the-52-week-money-challenge/

ReplyDelete
  163. Hi Lyn this is Jumel allow me to help you I am Sun Life Financial Advisor, Certified Investment Solicitor and Certified Public Accountant, lets discuss the basics, no string attached it's up to you if want to start investing. PM me if you're interested.. Thanks.

ReplyDelete
  164. Tin, don't be in a rush. Big Things Start in small things. In financial literacy the basic norm formula is (salary-savings=expenses). This topic (kuripot version) is just one of many branches of savings. We save for wants and needs (just like your smart phone), we save for investing, we save for rents, we save for emergency and etc..., Sana bigyan natin ng pagkakataon yung iba to learn at their own phase and I think there's nothing wrong with the blog. Everybody here have the right to know and learn about the good things good people want to share.

165. What is wrong, what is right tin ten? Ipaliwanag mo saken :D

ReplyDelete
  166. thats why i suggest 6jars instead of this. pls read my other comments. and i never said start big i said think BIG

167. Jayson VillavicencioJanuary 3, 2014 at 2:15 AM

Yes, I agree Mas magandang mag invest sa business, such as stock market, forex or even online network marketing na di kelangan ng malaking investment or capital. Low-startup lang sa halagang P2,500 pesos makakapagsimula ka nang mag-negosyo online.

Yes tama, You Can Earn P850 to P10,000 Pesos A Day Without Leaving Your Family at Home.
    It's Time For Us Filipinos to Earn Dollars in the Philippines Without
    Going Abroad. Work from Home – 100% Home-Based Online Business. Earn
    Great Money in the Internet World Today!

Visit this fanpage for more info: https://www.facebook.com/SupremeWealthAllianceCompany

ReplyDelete
  168. lahat ng strategy ay may good purpose. ang point mo ay for long term which is un dapat ang itinuturo sa atin habang student p. dapat ar early as elementary tinuturuan n tau ng financial literacy para matuto tau ng wise spending of our hard earned money khit baon. investing is the best towards financial stability and debt free upon retirement. tinuturuan kasi tau to spend not to save. what the society tell us is to always "keep up with juan dela cruz's".

ReplyDelete
  169. Ganyan ang tinutukoy ng author, when someone wants to save for a smartphone (because they need it), they might want to consider this way of saving money.

ReplyDelete
  170. So mayaman is na tin ten? With the way you preach, it seems that you have a very deep well in your backyard.

171. Good way to set aside some money for extra activities - thank you

ReplyDelete
  172. Pag nag citiseconline sir, agent niyo na po nun yung Citisec. Kumbaga malaking company ang broker niyo, instead of isang tao lang. Add lang po kay Miss Julie meron dun yung 25000 starting investment, tapos, kahit magkano na nun a month, even below 5k mga 1k, 2k,2.5k pesos pwede din, money na hindiniyo kakailanganin gamitin immediately kumbaga imbes na bili kaw ng bagay na di kumikita ng money, buy ka nalang ng stocks. :-)

ReplyDelete
  173. no im not im still young nsa accumulative stage plng ako, but i read a lot i learned that saving is not the solution for financial freedom. I found out kng bkit ang myamn lalong yumayaman at ang mhrap lalong hmihirap. Na ang pera gawa sa utang

ReplyDelete
  174. Agree ako sayo...for 2 years now okay ang business ko pero wala akong investment, nabili like car, house etc at sobrang walang pakialam gumastos kc but this year I decided to make tipid..invest and save. Iba yung malaking investment and ipon but this one para sa mga barya na madalas kung saan ko lang nilalagay : ))))

ReplyDelete
  175. Thanks for sharing this...excited na ako!!!!!! God bless : ))

176. Hello miss Julie623?my bayad po ba ung pag eenrol jan sa Citiseconline/

ReplyDelete
  177. Me too. .can i add you on fb?

ReplyDelete
  178. wag kayo maniwala kay tin ten bitter lang yan..

179. kung ayaw mo wag mo

ReplyDelete
  180. Inexplain na sayo diba? This so called challenge is for the purpose of saving extra for yourself alone (for whatever purpose it maybe). Meron na ngang nakalaan sa investment daw. Besides, after investing ang getting profit. What do rich people do? Spend it din. If you want to keep investing till you die, by all means push for it. We don't give a shit. But we all get the idea behind what was posted here.

ReplyDelete
  181. rich people spend after building their asset ang point ko dito. hnd niya sinama yung ung ibng dpat p paglaanan ng ipon you dont have to be rude you know..

ReplyDelete
  182. now where the heck will i get Php2600 within a week?

ReplyDelete
  183. And you don't see anything about rich people, investments and assets from the post either right? Hindi na kailangan isama pa specifically because we all understood what profit savings can bring. (That includes investing kung yun ang peg mo) kung me pinaglalaban ka edi post karin ng sarili mo. "Invest don't save" or whatever. Sabi mo mahina ka magblog, invest ka ng time magaral magblog. Everyone can think big, but not everyone is naive as you.

ReplyDelete
  184. You dont save 50 a week. You save 50 more than the savings you had the week prior. So sa week 1, 50 ang savings mo. Sa week2, 100. Week 3, 150. Week 4, 200..

ReplyDelete
  185. Then start with 5 pesos instead of 50 pesos.

ReplyDelete
  186. lol naive? can you justify that. I dont want to invest time how to blog its a waste. its not my thing in fact ive never done blogging ever and im not interested. i just read and this post caught my attention.

ReplyDelete
  187. I think this isnt wrong. Every blog has its own point. This is part of the financial education. This is the STARTING POINT. No one achieve greatness in just ONE CLICK. You have to passed every level. Before anyone can achieve the higher ladder of financial education, first thing first one must KNOW HOW TO SAVE. And it all start by having a HABIT. Then anyone can choose to do the NEXT LEVEL.

ReplyDelete
  188. I don't have to justify it. The fact that you believe blogging is a waste of time is already a naive way of thinking. 90% of digital marketing success is done through blogging and blog post ads. Its good that in such a young age you think of investing in real estate or condo whatever, but think of this. You were'nt born for the soul purpose of being rich. You'll never know you might die tommorow.

ReplyDelete
  189. try it, it actually works. :)

190. it is a progression in math

ReplyDelete
  191. Save whatever you can save... then invest whatever amount you were able to save. It's that simple. iba-iba ang needs, wants and priorities ng bawat tao. What i am doing is ipunin even the last centavo left in my pocket everyday, put in the bank every week. I started only 2 months back and whatever i have i invested in a little business. all, as in all profits go back to the bank with my capital. Now i'm doing both.. saving and investing :) ... But my goal is more concrete... i am not spending a single dime outside my priorities such as my children's education and investment... i promised myself not to buy anything that's not important, ever!!! as long as my gadgets are still serving its purpose, i won't buy a new one :)

ReplyDelete
  192. The idea is good, I will try this alongside my other savings/investments.. Please note nalang po na this is just ONE way of saving or what we can say na instilling the discipline. Yung binanggit po rito sa gagamitin for spending is JUST an EXAMPLE. Pwede mo namang gamitin yan for others like investing in stocks just like the others who commented here. Kung iintindihin mo lang syang mabuti, this idea is indeed good and you cannot say that it is wrong..

ReplyDelete
  193. I agree! the main thing is to learn the discipline. whatever you do with the money at the end of the day is nobody's business :)

ReplyDelete
  194. Friend, do you know how to save?

ReplyDelete
  195. The jar might be a really bad example(for your money will lose value over the year, thanks to inflation) but this can work provided that you but it on a different container or shall we call it "instruments". Bonds, UITF, mutual funds, stocks are way better instruments to do this as these can help in beating inflation and at the same time provide you with opportunities to grow your money more.

I had also read the comments complaining about the "large" increments; and my comment to this would be: It is really up to you to set what you save. Of course, it wouldn't be reasonble to put in around P2,600 on week 52 when all you can afford to pud to that week is P1000. With that, You should adjust what you are saving to an amount you know you can without forgoing comfortable living and paying your dues on time.

On a final note: Saving for something that you want might be great and will get you by for the year; But, investing for a comfortable future should get you by for your lifetime.

Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...